From the table of our very own assistant manager, the only kale recipe you'll ever need...
My Mom’s kale salad is absolute perfection to me and to those I’ve shared her recipe with. It’s a hearty salad that’s full of nutrients and belongs in anyone’s cooking repertoire. My family uses this recipe year round and it makes the perfect side dish to baked salmon and a warm crusty bread or as the main attraction, especially during the fall. It really is SO simple to make, yet serving it in an Andrew Pearce Echo Bowl makes it feel extra special.
- 1-2 bunches of kale, washed, chopped, mostly de-stemmed (check out these local farms!)
- 1 can of garbanzo beans, drained (optional)
- ¼ cup of coarsely chopped kalamata olives (optional)
- 1 can of water-based tuna, drained (optional, the more sustainable the better)
- Feeling experimental? Add cucumber, carrot, or cooked and cooled quinoa.
- 1-2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp of Bragg’s Amino Acids
- ½ cup of nutritional yeast
- ½ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mix the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and pour over the prepared kale in the Echo bowl. With clean hands or tongs, massage and mix the kale in the dressing for at least three minutes. Mix in the olives, garbanzo beans, tuna or additional toppings. Set in the refrigerator for at least thirty minutes to soften the kale before serving. Once you’re ready to serve, take out of the refrigerator and give it a gentle stir. You’re ready to eat!